Keeping One Mistake from Causing Devastating Results for Years to Come
If you have been arrested and charged with a DUI, it is important to take it very seriously. A single conviction for driving under the influence can result in a loss of license, thousands of dollars in penalties, hours of community service, and even jail time. The severity of these penalties makes it clear that you need to have an effective defense strategy to help minimize the risk of being found guilty. Fortunately, there are quite a few defense strategies that can be very effective.
First-Time DUI Defense Options
A defense strategy is certainly not a “one size fits all” situation. Instead, we will look at all the details of your case and come up with the right defense for you. This starts with talking about your goals, and continues as we learn about your case. Depending on all the factors involved, we’ll develop a strategy that includes some of the following options, among others, to help make the strongest case possible.
- Questioning a Breathalyzer – Breathalyzers are an impressive piece of technology, but they certainly aren’t infallible. We may be able to call into question the accuracy of a particular device, or the training of the officer who used it. Getting the results of a breathalyzer dismissed can have a very powerful impact on your case.
- Discrediting Field Sobriety Tests – Field sobriety tests are notoriously inaccurate, and can often be removed as evidence. These tests are very dependent on the physical abilities of the defendant, which can play into your favor.
- Not Actually Driving – If you were drinking and got in your car, an officer can charge you with a DUI, even if you weren’t actually driving. If this happened to you, we can use that to create a strong defense.
- Lacking Probable Cause – An officer must have probable cause to pull you over, and additional cause to ask you to best tested. If that is lacking in your case, we can use that in your defense strategy.
- Violation of Your Rights – If the officer, or others involved, violated your rights during or after the arrest, we can use that to seek a favorable verdict.
- Other Defenses – Your attorney will look at everything related to your case to learn about every detail. Based on your information, we’ll put together the right defense to ensure you are not found guilty.
Contact Us Right Away
When facing a DUI charge, time is of the essence. Please don’t hesitate to contact Beaufort DUI to discuss your options. We offer a free consultation to all new clients, and would be glad to help come up with an effective defense strategy to fight your first-time DUI charges.